Sunday, February 28, 2010

a preview of what's to come

This weekend, my New York trip was canceled due to the weather - no taping of the Maury Show and no MoMA (which meant no Tim Burton exhibit *tear*). Amber and I have been working to reschedule the trip before the exhibit is over, but it ends before the end of the semester so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Luckily, the heavier snow skipped right over Lancaster City and all we had was just a windy weekend.

I mentioned in my previous post, graduation is RIGHT around the corner. I have about 34 school days left until the end of the semester and I am happy to announce that I'm on top of my workload (with a lot of thanks to the canceled trip this weekend). At my school, seniors are required to work on a thesis that will be presented at the senior art show. This consists of four professional gallery pieces that we may also include in our portfolios. For my thesis, I chose greeting cards since I love working type and text into my art. I also chose this because it is essentially what I want to do after I leave PCAD. The students who chose the path of greeting cards had to work on 16 pieces of art rather than four so that everybody would be faced with an even amount of work (this works in my favor because I'll have more options to put in my portfolio in the end - hopefully I'll use all of them too ;]). With sixteen different cards under my belt, I split them up into different genres: four birthday, four Christmas, four other holiday cards (includes Easter, Valentine's Day, Halloween and St. Patrick's Day) and four special event cards (includes anniversary, wedding, baby and graduation). This week, our first thesis piece is due (in my case, my first four cards). I only have three done so far, but I was so excited to show them off that I couldn't wait to post this. Here they are:




I chose to work in Corel and also used my tablet again - I think it's pretty safe to say that those are my weapons of choice. Another nifty tool that I discovered this weekend is Color Scheme Designer 3. I'm not exactly sure what it's used for, but it definitely helped me resolve color comps and other color related issues I came across. It's an application that helps you find color palettes, complementary colors, triad colors, etc. - you just move the slider around the color wheel. I guess you could just figure that stuff out on your own but anything to make work a little easier ;]. Anyway, the group crit for these pieces is on Thursday. I'll post how it goes (AND I'll post my last card of the bunch) shortly after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment