Monday, November 8, 2010

an update on what I've been doing

I apologize for lagging in the blog department; it's been difficult trying to juggle a full time job on top of trying to find a "real" job that deals with illustration. I've been sending out samples of my work left and right, but so far no bites. It's pretty frustrating... and embarrassing. I'm not sure if it's because people don't understand/like my art or if it really is this difficult to find a job in illustration - I'm really hoping it's the latter. I'm starting to think the best route for me is to create my own greeting card "line" to sell independently. I've been sketching up a few ideas and really have to get the ball rolling if I want something to come out in time for Christmas (and by getting the ball rolling I really mean by this weekend). I lost the pen to my wacom tablet during my move which set me back a few weeks but I finally gave up looking for it and bought a new pen the other day. I can't wait for it to come in the mail - hopefully it'll be waiting for me after work tomorrow.

Fear not, my dear followers for I haven't completely given up yet! I've been participating in a monthly local art shows organized by Dave Kaule which have been always been super fun. The last show was held on October 31 at the OTB Bicycle Bar in the South Side and there was a great turn out. It was a sugar skull themed Halloween/costume party and everyone who participated had to incorporate their sugar skull design onto a paper mache skull. I reconstructed a Barbie styling bust using paint, fake flowers and a LOT of hot glue. It turned out a little kitschy, but everyone seemed to enjoy it. Check out some of the pictures...

This was taken the night I finished it (at work, of course)...


my best friend and I on our way to the art show... we had to ride the bus all bloody - haha! (P.S. - we did our own makeup)


My sugar skull with some of the other participants...


I'm glad someone took pictures because I left my camera at home :(


I really can't wait to start next month's project. I heard it's either going to be toilet seat themed for skateboard deck themed - both of which are pretty awesome. I PROMISE I'll keep you guys updated (you know, the one or two people who actually follow my blog). Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment